The Federal Government has condemned the renewed attacks on Nigerian businesses in South Africa, describing the perpetrators as mindless criminals.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs Geoffrey Onyeama on Monday said Nigeria will take definite measures against the xenophobic attack on Nigerians living in South Africa.
The minister, who was livid over the situation, however failed to state what measures the government intend taking.
The tweet reads: “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in South Africa by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection.
“Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”
Nigerians have been subject of attacks by the South African police and criminal elements in recent time.
Fresh violence broke out in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg on Sunday, which has left three persons dead and one person in the hospital being treated for smoke inhalation.
The Latest attacks on foreigners (Nigerians especially) in South Africa started last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria. It was speculated that the alleged killer was a Nigerian, which sparked protests, looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses. Police brought it under control.
However, the President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo on Monday said that the attacks began again on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.
Twitter users have condemned the attacks on foreign-owned businesses and properties in South Africa by her citizens.
However, South Africans are also expressing their frustrations with the activities of foreigners in their country.